Assistant Director, Student Engagement for Programs
Missouri State University/Office of Student Engagement
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Type: Full Time
Preferred Education: Masters
The Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Programs serves as the primary advisor to the Traditions Council and the Homecoming Student Steering committee. The Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Programs is responsible for supervising the planning and implementation of a comprehensive campus-wide student activities program focused on leadership, building connections, diversity, and University pride. The Assistant Director of Student Engagement for Programs oversees a comprehensive and complementary commuter and transfer student program.
1. Enhances student life by advising the student members of the Traditions Council and the Homecoming Student Steering Committee during all stages of planning, implementation, and evaluation of student programs and activities.
2. Onboards, trains, and supervises the full-time staff programming coordinator (who advises the Student Activities Council) and a Traditions Council graduate assistant.
3. Coordinates programming and communications with the transfer and commuter student populations.
4. Designs and distributes evaluation forms to assist personal growth and leadership potential.
5. Assists each programming committee or chairperson in developing a strong, effective committee by advising on member recruitment and management, developing and participating in orientation and training programs for those committees, and facilitating member development activities.
6. Ensures that business transactions, including ticket sales, contracts, income deposits, and expense requisitions undertaken by the programming boards comply with University procedures and regulations by negotiating and issuing contracts on behalf of the programming boards, supervising bidding of programs, and hiring and supervising student staff and professional staff associated with those contracts.
7. Ensures that all events sponsored by the boards are successful by coordinating with students and other University offices with respect to physical plant set-up, sound, and lighting contracts, food service and catering, risk management procedures and promotion of events.
8. Ensures that effective planning is accomplished and that resource files are properly maintained by supervising and assisting programming board members with timely written evaluations.
9. Facilitates the development of co-sponsored and complimentary programs by developing strong network ties with the offices responsible for orientation, transition and family programs, alumni relations and development, the Residence Hall Association, and Athletics, while supporting the similar ties with other campus organizations, departments, and campus programming committees.
10. Promotes a positive image of the University by assisting the Associate Director, Plaster Student Union/Director of Student Engagement in the planning, development, implementation, coordination, and evaluation of major University-wide special events, such as Welcome Week(end) events and other staff-initiated programs.
11. Manages financial resources, within budget limits, in accordance with University guidelines under the guidance and supervision of the Associate Director Plaster Student Union/Director of Student Engagement and assistance from the Accounting Specialist by planning, developing, and monitoring assigned budgets.
12. Ensures that the goals, objectives, and programs of the programming boards, Plaster Student Union, and the Office of Student Engagement are included in the annual goals and objectives.
13. As a professional member of the Office of Student Engagement, serves as a general advisor to all campus student organizations.
14. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
15. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Associate Director of Plaster Student Union/Director of Student Engagement.
16. Supports the overall operation of the Plaster Student Union and contributes to the department’s success by performing other duties as assigned.
Experience: Involvement and/or leadership experience with a campus programming board or other student organization is required. At least two years of experience in academic advising, event planning, educational administration, leadership training, or related student affairs experience is required. Two years working as a graduate assistant in one of these areas may be substituted for one year of the required professional experience.
Skills: Excellent organizational abilities, written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, and demonstrated problem-solving ability are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, seminars, and workshops.
About Missouri State University/Office of Student Engagement
Missouri State University is a diverse and inclusive community of expert faculty and staff members who are forward-thinking educators, learners and leaders. We share and celebrate the public affairs mission of Missouri State and foster a culture that celebrates open dialogue.
We provide a generous benefit package to help make Missouri State a preferred workplace in Springfield, Missouri.
Explore your opportunities and learn why you should become a Missouri State Bear!